Beginning in 1938 and continuing for some 60 years, the archaeological teaching collection has grown from a mere handful of pottery to approximately 8500 objects. The facilities have enlarged from a desk drawer to a four-wing facility with administrative, display, research and storage facilities. Use of the collection has evolved from classroom curiosities handled by a few students to public exhibitions viewed by thousands. The work and dedication of scores of individuals, institutes, archaeological expeditions, and national governments have combined to preserve significant aspects of ancient material culture, provide insight into the history of mankind, and illuminate the biblical world.We currently house over 8,500 ancient Near Eastern artifacts including coins, pottery, sculptures, tools, weapons, figurines, jewelry, seals, and glass vessels, as well as 3,000 ancient cuneiform tablets from Sumerian times through the Achaemenid period.
For the latest news, please visit our blog page.